Monday, January 02, 2006

Richard J's progress so far

One day into the New Year and my resolutions are holding out pretty well; which is more than could be said this time last year (near enough). At that time I'd scribbled down some pledges in a bar in Aberdeen which went something like this:

1. Stay single all year
(many said this was the least plausible thing I've ever written, which is saying something - and they were right. I've now been with the delicious Lucy for over 9 months [see pic below].)









2. Learn the Piano
(well, I've got a second-hand keyboard, but I haven't turned it on yet - does that count?)
3. Learn French
(Italian, and one term down - benne.)
4. Phone abroad once a week
(this lasted for about six months, then plays and Lucy became more absorbing, sorry.)
5. Write something
(two short stories written along with a drop of work-writing in the Spring - job done.)
6. [the dirty one]
(failed at this too, by half.)

So, whilst sitting in a cafe in San Francisco in late December 2005 (and yes that IS showing off), I came up with the plan for 2006. Let's hope for better results than one and two halves:

1. Trust your instincts
2. Write something else
3. Find a new job/career
4. Look after my back
5. Eat healthily

Watch this space.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home