Saturday, January 06, 2007

Phil's Resolutions for 2007

Right then, I'm back from darkest Senegal and sitting in Jack's new rooms in Oxford. Very nice. Having thought a little over Christmas I've come up with a somewhat shorter list for this year - partly to be a bit more focused but also to reduce the quantity of failure...

1. There was discussion of my Californian spare tire over the holiday, and I think its time it went. Thanks to my mum for providing the succinctly-worded resolution "Kill Jeremy." I am planning a multi-pronged assault on my gut, involving eating sensibly at sensible times and exercising sensibly. I'll make some initial measurements soon.

2. Earn Your Beers - it's too good to leave off the list.

3. Connected to no. 2, but a more quantitative version: write 4 papers by September. Basically, if I don't do this I'm going to struggle to get the next job. Do please help out with this one!

4. Prompted by conversations with Aziz about the Senegalese attitude to grandparents I resolve to Take Care of My Elders. I can start by phoning Grandad and Auntie Jean a bit more often...

Some of last year's resolutions have, I think, become just part of my lifestyle (the only real success I can claim from last year) - for example, I get reminded automatically about everyone's birthdays now. So, hopefully I can concentrate on just these four this year. And stay in employment...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home