Friday, January 23, 2009

update, update

i know you all have been just dying to hear updates on how i'm doing on my resolutions! fear not! your wait is over. let's go through them one by one:

1. i received the following message the other day (after my first hour of work, clearly): "you're not online in the mornings anymore!" certifiable proof. 2. um, well, anybody that's within 6 degrees of phil m is learning something about carbon emissions. i read the first few chapters of the MacKay book over the holidays, and intend to finish it.
3. i've been doing really well at avoiding meat. i have not been buying it and have even told a few people about why i've made that conscious choice. i made stir fry with tofu the other day; i cried the whole time i was cooking at the lack of meat. my tears added a unique flavor...no substitute for meat, however. i think ken should make me bacon as a reward for my diligence on this resolution. the government in germany came out for curbing meat intake the other day, following in the UN's footsteps. i guess the german diet now consists of only potatoes and beer.
4. i'm almost done with Everything is Illuminated. i also got within 20 pages of finishing Orlando and couldn't do it. i'm holding onto it as an ace up my sleeve in case i'm a little short come december 2009. i also acquired quite a few novels on my birthday a week ago. yessssss.
5. jerry and jen have received an e-mail alerting them of my resolution to go camping. it also informed them that they are in charge of this trip. this resolution has been successfully delegated!
6. phil pointed out the lost coast. that's as far as i've gotten, though.
7. there seems to be much debate about onions vs. garlic. all information i have about the perfect tomato sauce at this time however is rigorously untested.

9 Comments:

Blogger kenshen said...

i think i offset your #3, and then some. tonight, i made a turkey burger with bacon on top. i apologize for this.

let me make it up to you with bacon.

4:56 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

Hmm - if this was a class, you'd be top of it I think. Although the way you were happy to take a pizza off me by betting that your housemate would not take the bus last week, and then offering to drive him to work, suggests you are not serious about #2. Tell you what - I bet you another pizza you can't get all three of your housemates to go to the solar power talk at Campbell Hall tomorrow night!

1:13 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

offered! i hardly offered. but, i did not even suggest or engage him in any conversation about alternate means when he asked me to drive him to school. similarly, i did not engage my colleagues that offered me a ride to school today in a conversation about the merits of the 24x line. (that was a bit different though, since i felt awkward rejecting a favor from someone that i had also just rejected as lunch company.) the bus would have been faster and i would have gotten to read. sigh, one day i will be the environmental steward phil marshall is.

i'm paying my penance and will not accept any pizza for any of the roommates i manage to convince to go to the talk tomorrow, that i will be skipping 2 meetings to attend.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

Ah yes - the talk that I am missing in order to play football... Umm...

8:48 AM  
Blogger Will Grainger said...

There should be no onions vs garlic in tomato sauce. There should be onions *and* garlic.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

uh oh, the two italians i spoke with would heartily disagree. maybe during our tomato sauce-off however i will see if i their adamance is founded or if i can slip one past the goalie. unless they're reading this, in which case there's no garlic, just onions, what are you talking about you told me not to use both...

i spoke with another italian (this one from the dolomites) the other day that explained that the parmesan cheese/no cheese and garlic/onion divide is a north/south division. the south can get away without cheese and garlic because they have fresher, better produce.

3:45 PM  
Blogger kenshen said...

hmm, they'd also probably say no to chicken stock (i think), but it makes it delicious. i say go with what tastes good as long as you're not serving it to italians. and if they're reading this, i'm totally joking.

moxley, you've gone on a comment TEAR. phil speaketh, and it cometh true.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

would you mess with someone that has dubbed themselves "the blogfather"? i'm just afraid of waking up with a horse head in my bed.

5:55 PM  
Blogger T said...

Hello Emily!
I meant to recommend you some books! Sorry its taken me SO long....
Well at the moment I'm a Haruki Maurikami admirer!
He has 2 geners one is kinda serreal magic realism, the other is somber love kinda stories...
ANYWAY from the first genre - I would recommend either (now these are in order of my favoirtes... just incase!!!)
1) Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
2) Kafka on the Shore
3) Wind up bird Crnical
4) wild sheep chase

And from the other genre I would only read Norweigen Wood
I hope you choose one!
Txxx

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home