Friday, January 16, 2009

Some progress/fulfillment

Last week, the morning after I posted my NYRs, I got up and would normally have gone back to bed (it was Sunday, and I'd gone to bed at 330) or had a lazy morning, but I had NYRs in mind, so I stumbled to the Farmers' Market, where I was able to make headway on #1-3. In particular, I bought lovely local produce that helped with #1-2 and discovered that as of December (I hadn't been in > a month) there's a stand selling grass-fed beef (that isn't THAT expensive) in addition to an older one selling pork (which I hadn't known was mostly grass-fed, but is quite expensive). These greatly alleviate concerns I had with carnivorism and #2. I also chatted up the local garden club for advice re: #3. Apparently "cold" is not a concern in SB, so plans for #3 will move ahead when time permits.

As for #4-7, no progress there. I think my weekly cleaning was ambitious, so I changed it to every other week. Sue me. Re: #8, I've recently been working on rowing (erging), which pushed me past the "beginner" level on the 2k row. Lots of work to do to get past "intermediate": 7:30 2k. For the rowers among you, is an 8:10 2k really a beginner's time? I don't think I'm terribly unfit, but my body was horrified after clocking 8:01.

8 Comments:

Blogger T said...

lets have a rowing erg competition!
(for those with NYR to get fit go to gym etc!)
8:10 for 2K does sound fast, I don't think I've ever got below 4.50 for 1 K and it was v painful!
But I'll have a go now!!
;)

12:31 PM  
Blogger Philip said...

I'm no rower, but I did row for for Tara's college in Oxford for a term, so I can reliably say that, sadly, yes, anything over 8 mins for 2K for a full weight adult male is a "beginner's" time.

i only ever got down to about 7:30 or so for 2K myself - i don't think i ever got quicker than that - it is seriously tough.

make sure the resistance setting on the erg is at 3 and no higher, control your stroke so that you accelerate smoothly on the pull and relax as you slide back down on the recovery. use your legs not your arms. a strong core, including your back, will help! but i'm sure you know all this anyway ... so good luck! and have fun.

i'm all for the erg competition too - i'll warm up on erg next week at the gym and post my 2K time. (it is likely to be pitiful and around 8:30 or even slower i'm guessing!)

1:01 PM  
Blogger kenshen said...

i pulled my 8:01 at a resistance of 7, which i read afterwards was way too high. we'll see what happens at a lower setting, like 3 or 4. http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=5310 has a nice discussion about setting damper levels using the drag calculator function, which i didn't even know existed.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Good grief, it's like being an undergrad all over again. Can we talk about something other than erg times now please? Only kidding, great you are having fun on your make-believe boats. My only exercise-related resolution was to play 4 rounds of golf - and somehow one of our professors got wind of this so now Im supposed to play with her and her husband at some point. Should be fun - golfers don't come much jollier than Don, I reckon...

3:52 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

Oh yes, one other quick piece of news - my python mentor Matt came in to my office and sat over me while I emailed our admins to request an "upgrade" to fedora and its easily updated python libraries. I foresee a few days of teeth-gnashing frustration followed by a beginning of my python education. Am I ahead of you, Will?

4:05 AM  
Blogger kenshen said...

if you ever need a body to complete a foursome for golf, i want in. granted, i've never played before in my life, but it looks fun and it can't be that hard, right? riiiight.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Will Grainger said...

You're not quite ahead of me. I've read half of "Learning Python", and I'm getting cross with the idea
of whitespace being important! The author keeps talking about how this is much better than C, as if code beautifiers don't exist.

That said, I haven't written any actual code yet... I did the first couple of Euler questions in Perl, so converting them to Python shouldn't be too hard. And qt has just gone properly GPL, which means it'll be available for more systems, so I'm def going to push on that as well. I might try and recreate a cool clock I saw as a flash object. Of course, I didn't bookmark it and can't see it in my history...

11:43 AM  
Blogger Will Grainger said...

Found it:
http://www.jessonyip.com/analogy/

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home