Sunday, January 04, 2009

Nicole's Resolutions for 2009

2009 holds some significant changes for me -- graduation, moving to the other side of the school desk, and publishing -- so a blog seems a useful way to keep connected and keep events in perspective. Thanks for putting this together, Phil.

Resolutions:
  1. Wear better shoes. I know the whole wardrobe needs a professional upgrade, but that overwhelms me. I'm starting with the shoes.
  2. Answer letters and emails when I get them. No more procrastinating. No more avoiding tasks. No more crafting the perfect email that never gets sent because the moment has passed.
  3. Learn to blog and keep up with it. Blogging has become a key to publishing success, so it's high time I start.
  4. Volunteer more time. This will be a busy year, but I want to feel more connected to the SB community.
  5. Dance every week. Any kind of dancing is great (and counts), but I specifically want to rebuild skills I've let slip over the last few years.
  6. Do yoga. This may appear to overlap with resolution 5, but it is quite different. At least in my mind it is.
  7. Do more with friends. As life gets hectic, I become a hermit. This isn't healthy. So, anyone want to take a yoga class with me?
  8. Read more short stories. They are an endangered art form that can take as little as one bus ride to read. And I want to work on my ability to evoke -- to say more with fewer words.
  9. Understand and identify pass interference in American Football. It's one of the most common calls against American Football players, and yet its identity is inexact. It is nuanced and subtle. This resolution may be impossible.
That's enough for this year. Maybe next year, when the dissertation is done and I've taught a class or two, I'll try for ten resolutions.

I look forward to reading your posts!

3 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Good stuff Nicole! Interesting mix of easy and hard things - I mean, you've achieved 3 already (although I notice you posted but did not comment!), 1 and 2 are presumably almost in the bag and 4 through 7 could, with some planning, be ticked off together! For 8 I suggest Vonnegut, but 9 - well, good luck with THAT one.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Will Grainger said...

For number 8: check out wikipedia's article on flash fiction for a list of authors. The "ultimate" version is Hemingway's
"For sale: baby shoes, never worn.".

For non-US people - is number 9 the equivilent of understanding the off-side rule in football?

11:34 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Sort of, yes, I think so. It's similar in that if you understand that, then you almost certainly understand the whole game. In baseball the acid test is the "infield fly rule"

I testify that Nicole did indeed dance to "Sweet Home Alabama" in the pub on Friday night. We live in America!

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home