Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Phil K's 2009 Resolutions

Hello All,

Thank you Phil for inviting me to contribute to this - it looks fun and I could definitely do with some gentle resolution-keeping encouragement!

My New Year's resolutions for 2009 seem to consist mostly of things I used to manage to do without fuss, or are things that I really should have done by now, or are things I should never have stopped doing! Here they are:

1. Start triathlon training again. This essentially stopped when I moved to Barcelona in April 2007, and ever since I have felt that something has been missing from my life. When I'm training, I have more energy, seem to have more time, I'm less stressed, and I'm basically healthier and happier. The hardest part will be starting up - dragging myself out of bed at 6am to go to the pool in the morning or going for a run is tough until it becomes routine. Rejoining the Oxford Triathlon Club will help. And you all have to help as well!

2. Study a bit harder but not after 7pm. Since finishing my thesis I've taken life a bit too easy. My law conversion course is going well enough (he says two weeks before his first exams ...), but if I can reinvigorate my work-ethic it'll go better. This one will happen more easily once resolution number one is in place. The course is hardly thrilling in terms of content but its not actually that hard - as long as one works consistently. Therefore my aim is to treat my course as much like a 9 - 5 job as possible.

3. Read Vol. 1 of Marx's "Capital" in its entirety alongside watching David Harvey's online lecture series (davidharvey.org if you're interested). This is one of the ones that I really should have done before now.

4. Learn how to build my own bicycle wheels and build some for Tara's road bike. I have a willing and ideal tutor - my uncle Dennis. For someone with a self-professed love affair with the bicycle, my mechanic's skills are not up to much. Wheel building seems to me to be a soulful and rewarding enterprise so I'm especially excited about this one. I also want to build up a bicycle frame from scratch in 2009 as an educational experience.

5. Start revising my thesis with a view to getting it published. This one will have to wait until the summer however.

6. And, finally: make my own lunch instead of eating unhealthy and overpriced sandwiches at the university canteen.

In summary:

1. Take up triathlon training again.
2. Study harder and smarter.
3. Read Volume 1 of Marx's "Capital" with David Harvey.
4. Bicycle wheel building.
5. Thesis.
6. Make my own lunch.

And what with getting married in July, that should be enough self-improvement for one year!

1 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

You should synchonise your triathlon training with Tara's gymmery, give you something to talk about on the phone that's not weddings... Interested to see which you procrastinate more, Marx or the thesis - and I can't wait to see those soulful wheels, man! ;-)

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home