Friday, January 08, 2010

Philip K's 2010 Resolutions

Gosh, it is 2010.

My success rate on sticking to my 2009 resolutions was about 50% - so not too bad I suppose. I did build a pair of bicycle wheels, Tara and I did get married in July, and I am triathlon training again. "Capital" however remains unread ...

Let's see how I do with these in 2010:

1) Make the absolute most of my triathlon season in 2010: a training camp in Lanzarote in March, Ironman Lanzarote in May, the Alpe d'Huez triathlon in July with one of my best friends (Jon Holyoak) and possibly an autumn marathon. I have a lot of flexibility with my timetable this year (up until I start work in September at any rate) and this time is precious, so I'm going to make the absolute most of it.

2) Sort out my back problem. It is not very serious, but I have had a niggling problem with my back for about a year now. Believe it or not, it is not related to any activities in resolution number 1. It is actually caused by poor posture, especially when working at a laptop or writing by hand and poor core strength. So resolution number 2 is all about doing my physio exercises at least once a day. It doesn't take long, I just need to roll out of bed 10 minutes earlier each morning and get on with them. It is probably one of the best investments I can make in my long term health so it is madness that I don't do them as often as I should.

3) Implement a positive mental attitude about living in Oxford. I have allowed myself to get really down about the decision to move back to Oxford from Barcelona, and studying law has been dreary to say the least. However, the decision has been made, here I am, and this is where I'm going to be living for at least two and half years. Oxford has lots of good things going for it, I just need to be more positive about finding them. So I'm going to spend more time with Oxford-based, like-minded friends like Pablo and Illan, go to the Phoenix cinema more often, see a foreign language film at least once a month, go and hear some live music every so often (there's often live world music at the Carling Academy), perhaps find a Spanish intercambio, and maybe do a bicycle mechanic's course at the Oxford Cycle Workshop. Watch this space.

4 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Hey! In October I will be a like-minded Oxford-based friend! But I am not going to help you read Das Kapital, I admit. But we can certainly keep it chipper together :-) You can use your new alarm clock to help with #2! Does it do a cockerel crowing sound to go with its sunrise?!

1:36 AM  
Blogger Philip said...

Hey Phil! That is great! T and I are really looking forward to having you around :) We are planning on moving to Jerico in the summer so maybe you should look there too!

9:22 AM  
Blogger T said...

Hey Phil! Yes nice! I like the minimalist approach! number 1 and 2 even kinda go together!!
and to Phil M YES great we'd love to hang out in Oxford!

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Jen said...

Re No 3 - Oh I know so much how that feels! Once the decision is made, however much of a niggle there is that it is not quite right on all fronts, you just have to change mindsets. I am now gathering a critical mass of fun friends (and almost a little brother) in Oxford so I will request to be a frequent visiting like minded...And London is close - bienvenido!

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home