Friday, March 20, 2009

NYR update #2

Oh boy, it's been a while but I'm here....! I've had mixed performance on my resolutions - I can't help but learn more about carbon emissions; I'm on pace with my fiction (at the expense of news - but I knew that would suffer going in); I'm not really eating any beef whatsoever (though I'm not really talking about it either); and the rest I have trouble remembering on a regular basis. Except for signing out of e-mail every morning. I remember that, and then consciously decide that I'm going to stay on e-mail. Especially now that I'm considering career options, sending e-mails and networking seems particularly important.

I'm doing pretty well at every one else's resolutions, though. Ken and I have had quite a few dinners at the house; we planted a garden in the backyard (the radishes are ready!); and I went to get Phil's golf clubs with him. I'm not sure that I get oneyearplan points for other people's resolutions though.

6 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

I think you're doing well! So much fiction.

Also, Tommaso told me yesterday we are (finally) on for the Great Tomato Sauce Cook-off on Friday, with ace gourmands Ken Shen and Roberta Mazza adjudicating.

PS. No posting without commenting, dammit! :-)

8:24 PM  
Blogger kenshen said...

there's a tomato sauce cook-off?? i'm an ace gourmand??? regardless, i'm excited about eating lovingly-cooked things.

10:53 PM  
Blogger T said...

any recommendations on good fiction??
TX

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Jen said...

Phil would not agree with these but here are my non-mainstream selection:
1. if you can walk you can dance - Marion Molteno. My favourite book ever. Set in London and Africa, largely Zambia
2. Half of a yellow sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Set in Nigeria
3. Bel Canto - Ann Petchett. Set in Latin America
4. The Catastrophist - Ronan Bennet. Set in Congo (DRC).
I'm looking for new ideas - all gratefully received
J

4:03 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

oh hi hi hi!

i most recently read Rabbit, Run (Updike) - liked it very much. i fear though that when i read the next in the series (Rabbit Redux, which i picked up within an hour of finishing the first) that i will be less enthralled unless there is a lot of development of the main character.

i'm currently reading The House of God (one of phil's recs) and next up is Absalom, Absalom (Faulkner) which should be difficult, but rewarding.

jen, If You Can Walk You Can Dance and Half of a Yellow Sun look really good and definitely different from what I usually read - i'm going to go pick them up later this week though i might not get around to reading right away...

i probably mention it only because it is set in africa (a fictional utopian society in botswana), but i can also recommend Mating by Norman Rush. from what i can tell about your favorite books, though, it might deal with a much more private, fictional/less historical side than what you might like. perhaps worth a look, though :).

will, i still haven't picked out a scifi book. i'm going to show your list to my housemate and see what she can recommend from it for a lightweight like me ;).

--ekm

8:09 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

I have Half of a Yellow Sun courtesy of Jen, and enjoyed The Catastrophist actually (although in a slightly masochistic sort of way). I just finished "Death and the Penguin" by Andrey Kurkov which was quirky but a bit noir. I have a couple of good-looking Steinbecks next - after I finish chomping through the Omnivore's Dilemma. I see what you mean now, Ken...

1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home