Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Will's Resolutions

So, here are my resolutions
  • Drink more water.
  • Only drink booze on Friday or Saturday nights
So those two are kind of related. I find it very easy to come home after a day at work, drinking only coffee and Coke, and then just drink a 6 pack of beer (when in the US) or 4 cans (in the UK). Get up in the morning, repeat. Either I'm young and great and my body just copes, or the caffine and alcohol are attacking my liver/kidneys from two different directions and so that feels like an even keel. Either way, not sustainable, and so drink more water during the day, and cut out school-night-alcohol.
  • No laptops twice a week.
In an effort to speak to my spouse more often (!), we have agreed to limit our computer usage. No random surfing/working, more quality time with each other.
  • Write papers.
A work related one. It's kind of hard on big instrument projects (because there's that big instrument paper at the end) but one way is to get involved in more of the quick turn around development aspects. Also 'diversifying' and doing some observing would help...
  • Clear computer game backlog.
A non work one. :-) I have a stack of computer games that are half finished. I need to complete them before buying more.
  • Learn Qt & Python.
I should learn something new this year on a computer, and everyone raves about Python. Although I'm slightly worried that it's the 'in thing' at the minute, but it does look like a better version of Perl (where better means 'doesn't look like line noise'). Qt... Well, I'd like to add gui-ness to some things, and so qt is mentioned there. Although the Python book I looked at today was mentioning nice GUI support through Python, so these two fit together nicely.
  • Read astro-ph every day.
Work again. I need to keep up. It doesn't take much. In fact, I realised how to do this. I've got a 'daily' folder in my firefox bookmarks, which I do a 'open in tabs' at the beginning of the day. It's got the daily comics I read (including hack-a-day and slashdot), so I just add astro-ph, and the instrument development section, and job done. The trick is then to read the interesting papers as well...
  • Deal with annoyances rather than ignoring.
This is a very general, hard to do one. I let things slide, and they get annoying. And then they get more annoying, so I just ignore them harder. And then they get built up in my head to really big things to sort, and just doing them stresses me out. If I just replied to the email immediately, or took the library book back in good time, it wouldn't be so bad....

3 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

We can learn python together! I don't approve of gui's though, so you're on your own there ;-)
I almost had that astro-ph one too - but got told by Harriet (visiting at New Year) that New Year's resolutions were for fun, not work... I think the daily tab thing wouldnt work for me, but scraping afiltered version of astroph and emailing me the titles might do ok. I think the laptops one needs more careful quantification - I mean, two whole days? Or just evenings? Between what hours?! etc. More water, less booze, very healthy, should save you a packet too. You should keep the unspent cash in a jar and spend it on dinners our with Claire :-)

7:48 AM  
Blogger Will Grainger said...

GUIs are for other people to use the code, not for me. :-) I need a 'learning python' book/website. Anyone got a recommendation?

The laptop thing is work evening only. It's too easy to work during the day and then just carry on in the evening. It is as though the laptop was left at work.
It doesn't fit well with the game backlog or the write papers though. :-)

9:34 AM  
Blogger T said...

hello I have a tip for your water, if its cold, drink hot water - it almost tastes like tea (if you like tea, like me, this is good!) so it feels more like a proper drink than cold water!
TX

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home