Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Stay strong, people!

I've noticed that previous years' posts start dwindling precipitously in number beginning in February. It has been nearly 2 weeks since the last post. Stay resolved, fellow resolvers!

Good progress on the first 3, terrible progress on the rest:

1) Cooking/eating a meal with someone else > once a week has proven very easy, especially after forcibly inserting myself into the Zink crew.

2) Eating more sustainably has also proven relatively easy due to strict attendance at the farmers' market and visits to the fish market. Grass-fed beef: delicious. I even asked about tripe (in accordance with an exciting dinner party plan) and they'll have it in a few weeks! Expensive, though (a whole happy organic chicken runs $13, as opposed to $6 for a cage-free), but that encourages me to cut back a bit on meat.

3) We tore up some space in Zink's backyard last weekend and planted a bunch of things. No "trellises and beds and the like", but still very exciting! Hopefully the seeds haven't washed away in the recent rain. I also got around to planting up all the pots I own with various goodies. Grow, my pretties!

4) Umm. I haven't cleaned anything. I swept my kitchen floor a few days ago, but that's the extent of it. Going to have to get to work on this one.

5) No trips out of SB-proper. Should organize a wine-tasting trip...

6) No work on the bike either. Darn.

7) Err, 10% success on this one. Played some sonatas with a friend, who suggested we could eventually work on one to play for his teacher. If his teacher drops a quarter on accident and I donate it to charity, I think that should count.

8) Some of the Crossfit standards have got to be impossible for a 145 lb. 5'10'' short-legged person. A 6k row in 21:45? 200 55 lb. snatches in 10 minutes!? Not happening. Maybe I'll revise this resolution...

7 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

No cleaning and it's FEBRUARY?! Shame on you Ken Shen! Shame on you! Great bacon-wrapped sausage last night though, thanks!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Philip said...

I'll be intrigued to know how you end up cooking tripe ... there are lots of Spanish recipes that use tripe, although I've never tried to cook it myself. Good luck and keep us posted!

8:21 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

I watered the garden on Saturday - there's some nice looking shoots coming up. Did you plant any rocket (arugula)? That stuff grows like a weed.

Have you even cleaned your bike yet? I thought that was a good suggestion of either Phil K or Will, I forget which.

5:32 AM  
Blogger kenshen said...

phil k: i'm planning on using anthony bourdain's recipe from his les halles cookbook. there are pig ears involved too. i almost lucked out and got some ears for free from my butchery class, but they ended up being used in class.

phil m: thanks for watering. i don't remember if we had arugula. someone zink-related (which includes you) should thin and weed soon. everything that will sprout should have done so by now, so everything should be thinned to 1 plant per cluster.

and no i haven't cleaned my bike. i can envision myself on december 31st cleaning my whole apartment and assembling a new bike and finding 3 strangers with whom to play a concert that night.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

The Zinkites seemed to like the idea of harvesting everything that the Gopher had not already eaten and making some sort of dinner out of it. Was there a recipe scheme attached to the garden plan?

7:27 AM  
Blogger kenshen said...

what's ready besides the arugula (is it still edible?) and radishes?

3:43 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

definitely the swiss chard. i think Topher ate all the peas. i'm not sure about the carrots and beats - have been afraid to dig them up too early, but i bet they're ready. arugula is still good, as well as the cilantro and other herbs.

i think it's time for some new plants!

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home